Summer Book Recommendation 2017


Hello, my dear bookworms.

You are right; it’s one of these posts, where I recommend some books to you that, I think, are perfect to read during the summer. The criteria are, as always, the setting, the atmosphere and how good it fits into the summer. This time I, also had the idea to structure the recommendation into genres (no Science Fiction or High Fantasy), so that there is hopefully a book for everyone.
However, I‘ll be honest to you guys, I skipped the spring recommendation. I have honestly no idea what books are fitting into spring.


Fantasy

Title: Doon [Doon #1]
Author: Carey Corp & Lorie Langdon
Genre: Fantasy, YA, Romance
Published: 2013

Synopsis
Veronica doesn't think she's going crazy. But why can't anyone else see the mysterious blond boy who keeps popping up wherever she goes? When her best friend, Mackenna, invites her to spend the summer in Scotland, Veronica jumps at the opportunity to leave her complicated life behind for a few months.

But the Scottish countryside holds other plans.

Not only has the imaginary kilted boy followed her to Alloway, she and Mackenna uncover a strange set of rings and a very unnerving letter from Mackenna's great aunt—and when the girls test the instructions Aunt Gracie left behind, they find themselves transported to a land that defies explanation. Doon seems like a real-life fairy tale, complete with one prince who has eyes for Mackenna and another who looks suspiciously like the boy from Veronica's daydreams. But Doon has a dark underbelly as well. The two girls could have everything they've longed for...or they could end up breaking an enchantment and find themselves trapped in a world that has become a nightmare.

Why You Should Read It
Doon takes place during the summer holidays, which sounds really good. It also seems to be an YA version of Outlander  by Diana Gabaldon. I haven’t read this book myself but it’s on my own summer TBR.

Young Adult

Title: To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before
Author: Jenny Han
Genre: YA, Romance, Contemporary
Published: 2014

Synopsis
What if all the crushes you ever had found out how you felt about them… all at once?

Sixteen-year-old Lara Jean Song keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. They aren’t love letters that anyone else wrote for her; these are ones she’s written. One for every boy she’s ever loved—five in all. When she writes, she pours out her heart and soul and says all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly, Lara Jean’s love life goes from imaginary to out of control.

Why You Should Read It
This is also a book from my summer TBR. To my mind YA books are perfect for the summer. At least, I have the feeling that it’s the only season that I get interested in reading about teenage problems and love triangles.

Crime

SeriesCommissario Brunetti series 
Author: Donna Leon
Genre: Crime, Fiction, Cultural, Italy
Published: 1992- now
All books can be found here.

About the author and the series
Donna Leon (born September 29, 1942, in Montclair, New Jersey) is an American author of a series of crime novels set in Venice and featuring the fictional hero Commissario Guido Brunetti.
Donna Leon has lived in Venice for over twenty-five years.
Her crime novels are all situated in or near Venice. They are written in English and translated into many foreign languages, although not, by her request, into Italian. Her ninth Brunetti novel, Friends in High Places, won the Crime Writers' Association Silver Dagger in 2000.

Why You Should Read It


Normally, I don’t like to read crime books in the summer. To my mind that’s something for the darker seasons of the year. However, I’m totally in love with Donna Leons’ Commissario Brunetti series. Every book, even the fourth and fifth which are set in winter, gives me the feeling that I’m in the middle of Venice in the summer. The detailed description of the city, the people and the culture caught me directly as I read the first book. Furthermore, the paperbacks have a perfect size to take it with you on holidays. I’m usually not a big fan of audiobooks but the one of the Commissario Brunetti series, which can be found on Youtube, are really good, too.

Historical Fiction

Title: Medici: Die Macht des Geldes [I Medici #1]
Author:  Matteo Strukul
Genre:  Historical, Fiction, Cultural
Published: 2016

Disclaimer: I have no idea why, but this book , according to goodreads, is only available in Italian, German or Dutch... So here is the German and the Italian synopsis.  

Synopsis
German
Florenz im Februar 1429: Als der Bankier Giovanni de‘ Medici stirbt, hinterlässt er ein enormes Vermögen und ein hervorragend funktionierendes Netzwerk. Seine Söhne Cosimo und Lorenzo sollen gemeinsam die Leitung von Familie und Geschäft übernehmen. „Politisch nüchtern, im eigenen Leben maßvoll zurückhaltend, aber entschlossen im Handeln“ – das sind die fundamentalen Verhaltensregeln, die Giovanni seinen Söhnen sterbend aufträgt. Doch so einfach lässt sich sein letzter Wunsch nicht erfüllen, denn Giovanni hatte mächtige Feinde. Vor allem der verschlagene und blutrünstige Rinaldo degli Albizzi kennt nur ein Ziel: die Vorherrschaft in Florenz zu übernehmen. Und dafür ist ihm jedes Mittel recht ...

Italian

Firenze, 1429. Alla morte del patriarca Giovanni de’ Medici, i figli Cosimo e Lorenzo si trovano a capo di un autentico impero finanziario, ma, al tempo stesso, accerchiati da nemici giurati come Rinaldo degli Albizzi e Palla Strozzi, esponenti delle più potenti famiglie fiorentine. In modo intelligente e spregiudicato i due fratelli conquistano il potere politico, bilanciando uno spietato senso degli affari con l’amore per l’arte e la cultura. Mentre i lavori per la realizzazione della cupola di Santa Maria del Fiore procedono sotto la direzione di Filippo Brunelleschi, gli avversari di sempre continuano a tessere le loro trame. Fra loro c’è anche una donna d’infinita bellezza, ma dal fascino maledetto, capace di ghermire il cuore di un uomo. Nell’arco di quattro anni, dopo essere sfuggito a una serie di cospirazioni, alla peste e alla guerra contro Lucca, Cosimo finirà in prigione, rischiando la condanna a morte. Fra omicidi, tradimenti e giochi di palazzo, questo romanzo narra la saga della famiglia più potente del Rinascimento, l’inizio della sua ascesa alla Signoria fiorentina, in una ridda di intrighi e colpi di scena che vedono come protagonisti capitani di ventura senza scrupoli, fatali avvelenatrici, mercenari svizzeri sanguinari…

Comments

  1. I loved that each genre is different. To All The Boys I've Loved Before trilogy is one of the best series to binge-read during the summer. Have you read the sequels P.S I Still Love You and Always and Forever, Lara Jean?
    They are great. You should read them, if you liked the first book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello.
      To be honest, I just started To All The Boys I've Loved Before shortly before I wrote the post but I thought it would be perfect. By now I'm really looking forward to read the sequels too.
      May I ask, if you also read the Burn For Burn series too? I'm whether unsure if I should read them too.

      Delete
  2. I hope you enjoy them, I haven't read the Burn for Burn series, I have heard of it though. To me, it just sounds too high school because all these 3 girls wants revenge for their own personal reasons that have to do with their past. I tried reading the first book , there is a lot of backstory for all 3 girls which I get, but I don't like when i get info dumps for pages and pages that doesn't do anything for the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's exactly my concern. I'm slightly scared that it will be like the "The Clique" series by Lisi Harrison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, that's why I've stayed away from series like they don't have any substance besides teenage drama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can`t believe I have not read "To All The Boys I`ve Loved Before" yet. The story sounds cute and the covers are so pretty.

    http://www.carmensreadingcorner.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Georgiana. Don't worry I'm already in the middle of the first book and I absolutely love it. I will definitely read the other two book in the series as well.

      Delete
  6. Hi, I just came across your post and I have to say great recommendations. I've read To All The Boys I've Loved Before and I actually really loved. I definitely check the rest of them out :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I'm glad you liked my recommendation.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: "The Restless Dead" by Simon Beckett [English/German]

Review: "Radio Silence" by Alice Oseman

Review:"Dragon Actually" by G.I. Aiken